Presidio La Bahia Home Page
Early History Of Presidio La Bahia
General Ignacio Zaragoza
Texas Revolution
The Battle Of Coleto Creek
The Goliad Massacre
The Angel Of Goliad
After The Texas Revolution
Restoration Of Presidio La Bahia
Under Nine Flags
Presidio La Bahia Today
Archelogy At Presidio La Bahia
Events Calendar
Friends Of The Fort
The Quarters
Presidio La Bahia Living History Program
Frequently Asked Questions
Sign Our Guest Book
View Our Guest Book
Inquires
For Educators
Media Guide
Contacts At Presidio La Bahia
Texas History Links

Presidio La Bahia (Fort Defiance) in 1836. Click here to view larger image.
Presidio La Bahia "Fort Defiance" in 1836
 
Chapel in 1936. Click here to view larger image.
Chapel in 1936
 
Last remaining typical concave arched opeing in North Room of Commanding Officers Quarters, 1936. Click here to view larger image.
Arched Opening 1936
 
Raiford L. Stripling, supervisor and architect of the restoration. Click here to view larger image.
Raiford L. Stripling
 
Plan developed after excavation in 1965. Click here to view larger image.
Plan After Excavation
 
Grave sites located in and around the Chapel. Click here to view larger image.
Grave Sites in and around the Chapel
 
The only rifle port still in place before restoration. Click here to view larger image.
Last Surviving Rifle Port
 
Dining plate found during restoration. Click here to view larger image.
Plate Found During Restoration
 
Dining plate found during restoration. Click here to view larger image.
Plate Found During Restoration
 
Earliest known coin found during restoration. Click here to view larger image.
Earliest Known Coin Found During Restoration, 1773
 

 

Above photo of Presidio La Bahia in 1938 (looking East). The Fannin grave and the newly constructed monument to celebrate the Texas centennial is shown in the upper right hand corner. The outline of the foundation of the two room birthplace of General Ignacio Zaragoza is shown in the lower right hand corner. Our Lady of Loreto Chapel is shown in the lower left hand corner. Photo from: Presidio La Bahia, by Kathryn Stoner O'Connor.

 

Above photo of the fully restored Presidio La Bahia (looking Southeast). In the background is the Fannin memorial and gravesite. Right middle, outside the presidio wall is the restored birthplace of General Ignacio Zaragoza.

 

The Preservation and Restoration of the Presidio La Bahia by Mrs. Thomas O'Connor for the Corpus Christi Diocese of the Catholic Church, owner and Custodian, began April 24th, 1963. The work being done under the direction of Raiford L. Stripling (photo left), Architect, and a staff of restoration technicians headed by L. A. Pettus, Engineer, R. E. Beard, Archelogist and O. G. Compton, Superintendent, all having had experience in the investigation, resoration, and preservation of the nearby contemporary historic sites of Mission Espiritu Santo and Mission Rosario. Reverend Edward Kircher served as the representative of Bishop M. S. Garriga and Monsg. Wm. J. Oberste on the work as well as labor and fiscal agent for the Kathryn O'Connor Foundation.

 
The O'Connor family in Presidio La Bahia
Tom Jr., Kathryn S., Dennis O'Connor, and Mary O'Connor Braman
 
Images From The Restoration
 
 
Anaqua trees growing inside the walls of Officer's Quarters before restoration   Excavation begins in 1963
     
 
Dressing for excavation. Dorothy Coward, Father Kircher, Monsignor Frederick O. Beck, Kathryn S. O'Connor, Bishop Garriga in Hat   Restoration of east wall in 1965
     
Images Before And After Restoration
     
 
Oldest Known Photo   Today
     
 
1890   Today
     
 
1890   Today
     
 
 
 

 

 

 
 
Friends Of The Fort | P.O. Box 57 | Goliad, Texas 77963 | US Hwy 183 (77A)
Telephone: (361) 645-3752
Copyright: 2002 - Friends Of The Fort
Webmaster