Presidio La Bahia Home Page
Early History Of Presidio La Bahia
General Ignacio Zaragoza
Texas Revolution
The Battle Of Coleto Creek
The Goliad Massacre
The Angel Of Goliad
After The Texas Revolution
Restoration Of Presidio La Bahia
Under Nine Flags
Presidio La Bahia Today
Archelogy At Presidio La Bahia
Events Calendar
Friends Of The Fort
The Quarters
Presidio La Bahia Living History Program
Frequently Asked Questions
Sign Our Guest Book
View Our Guest Book
Inquires
For Educators
Media Guide
Contacts At Presidio La Bahia
Texas History Links
 
Plat of the townsite of La Bahia, filed in 1857, by Dr. Barnard. Click here to view larger image.
Plat Of La Bahia Townsite
Filed In 1857
 
Oldest known photo of Presidio La Bahia.  Year Unknown. Click here to view larger image.
Oldest Known Photo
 
South Side of Chapel from interior of ruins of the Commanding Officer's Quarters, 1880. Click here to view larger image.
Ruins in 1880
 
Chapel from northwest of ruins. Click here to view larger image.
Front of Chapel -1890
 
Chapel from northeast of ruins. Click here to view larger image.
Back of Chapel - 1890
 
Presidio La Bahia, looking southwest into ruins. Click here to view larger image.
Ruins in 1890?
 
Chapel, circa 1920. Click here to view larger image.
Chapel, circa 1920
 
Chapel, circa 1920. Click here to view larger image.
Chapel, circa 1920
 
Northwest side of chapel June 16, 1936. Click here to view larger image.
Chapel June 16, 1936
 
West side of chapel June 16, 1936. Click here to view larger image.
Chapel June 16, 1936
 
Northeast side of chapel June 16, 1936. Click here to view larger image.
Chapel June 16, 1936
 
East side of chapel June 16, 1936. Click here to view larger image.
Chapel June 16, 1936
 
South side of chapel June 16, 1936. Click here to view larger image.
Chapel June 16, 1936
 
Sketch of Presidio La Bahia, circa 1958. Click here to view larger image.
Sketch circa 1958, by:
E.M. "Buck" Schiwetz
 
Sketch of Presidio La Bahia, circa 1958. Click here to view larger image.
Sketch circa 1958, by:
E.M. "Buck" Schiwetz
 
Watercolor of chapel. Circa 1951. Click here to view larger image.
Watercolor 1951, by:
E.M. "Buck" Schiwetz

 

In the years 1835 and 1836, the period of the Texas Revolution, La Bahia was in the hands of the Texas-Americans. After the San Jacinto victory, Vicente Filisola, second in command of the Mexican Army, and under orders from the captured General Santa Anna lead the retreating Mexican Army back to Mexico. When he neared Goliad he asked to be allowed come through the town, but was refused permission as the authorities feared that the Texas garrison and returning Texian soldiers there would object and probably would attack the Mexicans. Filisola bypassed the town.

Now the Anglo-Americans took over. After San Jacinto, the volunteers from the United States, having joined the fighting here for the purpose of securing lands and homes in Texas in payment for their armed services, were quick to file on the most desirable tracts, therefore many stopped in the Goliad, Victoria, and Refugio region. Almost overnight the country changed from the Spanish culture to that of the Anglo-Americans.

Local families that supported the Texas Revolution, such as the De León family (founders of Victoria), bought $35,000 worth of supplies and ammunition to fight the war. They also supplied many of the men to fight in the war, including all the De León men and all the husbands of the De León women. After the war for Texas Independence the De León family was subjected to horrible injustices. As one historian put it "They became the victims of the most unjust discrimination ever known in Texas". The family had been robbed of their dignity and all of their lands. They did not even have monies to pay for tombstones for their dead.

The municipalities became counties and the ayuntamiento (City Council) became towns and were reorganized and established under the Republic of Texas.

The Texas Revolution had concluded, and all Mexican Government holdings were taken over for the republic, and so the Presidio and Mission of La Bahia del Espiritu Santo de Zunega became public property, and as such the state and the town of Goliad assumed ownership of both.

Within eleven months of the victory at San Jacinto and the gaining of the freedom of Texas, a small group of Texas-Irish veterans were in New Orleans loading a vessel with building materials and merchandise with which to rebuild their homes, which had been destroyed by the advance of Santa Anna's army. Before leaving, they named one of their own to John J. Linn, as the spokesman to present a memorial (request) to Bishop Blanc of New Orleans, requesting him to present it to the Council of Bishops of the United States, then assembled in Baltimore, Maryland. The memorial requested priests for Texas and they asked that the memorial be passed on to Rome. The memorial was signed on March 20, 1837 in New Orleans. 1

The petition was signed by:

John J. Linn, of Victoria, Robert Hearn from Mission Refugio; William R. C. Hayes, Robert O'Boyle, and Andrew A. Boyle from San Patricio; and John McMullen for the Catholics in San Antonio de Bexar. 2

The Texans left for their homes, sure that the church in Rome would take action, even if it took a while to complete.

Rome responds: Bishop Blanc was instructed by Rome in March of 1838 to prepare a report as to the conditions in vast regions of Texas. He requested that Father Timon lead the expedition into Texas and prepare the report for Rome.

Father Timon and his expedition landed at Galveston on December 27, 1838. From there they proceeded to Houston where the congress was in session and where they met the president and many prominent members of the congress. After consulting with these men, Catholic and Protestant alike, Father Timon was told that his plan of visiting San Antonio, East and south Texas was impractical because of the winter rains; the peril of Indian attack, and the Mexican guerillas were known to be roaming the country along the Guadeloupe and San Antonio Rivers.

Among those he consulted were judge John Dunn, Senator from Goliad, Refugio, and San Patricio; Senator John J. Linn from Victoria; Senator Juan N. Seguin of San Antonio and other Representatives.

On their recommendations and information of state of religion in Texas, Timon returned to New Orleans and made his report.

In his recommendation, Timon stated: "...and "Old La Bahia District." He reported that in the region of La Bahia, now better known as Goliad, there were about twenty Catholic families, mostly Mexicans, that "The beautiful old church of Our Lady of Loreto still bore ugly scars of war, but was not beyond repair, standing abandoned, without sacred vessels, vestments, or furnishings." 3

La Bahia Restored To The Church, Bishop Odin Comes:

Immediately Timon, Prefect Apostolic of Texas, appointed his ablest assistant, Father J.M. Odin, C.M., Vice-Prefect Apostolic, with power to administer Confirmation, and sent him to Texas to begin the re-establishment of the Catholic Church there.
With these companions Father Odin set out for Texas on May 2, 1840, by way of the Mississippi River to New Orleans, arriving there May 12, after being delayed some days in Natches by a very destructive hurricane. 4

In New Orleans a stop of nearly two months was made in order to secure the necessary outfits and money to begin the work in the new Republic, so it was not until July 1 that they embarked in the two-masted vessel, the Henry, and after a slow, but uneventful voyage, landed at Linnville, near Port Lavaca, on July 13.


Arriving at Victoria, the young priests were assigned to their Missions while Father Odin began his inspection of the former Church properties in Texas. Father Estany was given the care of Goliad, Victoria, Refugio, Carlos Ranch, Fagan Ranch, Lamar, Live Oak Point, and other settlements to the Lavaca River.

His diary records that Fr. Estany established a school for boys at Carlos Ranch.

When he first arrived, Father Odin had intended to go to Austin to present to Congress the matter of the rights of the reorganized church of all property formerly held by it.


It was not until December 1840, that he was able to get his petition, which was presented by his friend, Congressman William Porter, before Congress. It is to be noted that Ordin wisely requested not a grant of property for the church, but confirmation by the government of the undisputed title to property previously held by the church for religious purposes.5 The petition was first presented to the House of Representatives where it was referred to a committee, which favorably reported with a recommendation for its passage. The stared the offering of amendments and changes. One of these that was adopted provided that, "Nothing herein contained shall be so constructed as to give title to any lands except the lots upon which the Churches are situated, which shall not exceed fifteen acres." The amendment was was adopted. After some heated objections from these opposed to the Catholic Church, the bill was finally approved with some modifications, and sent to the Senate.

Here the first measure enacted was entitled, "An Act of Confirming the Use and Occupation and Enjoyment of the Church, Church Lots, and Mission Churches to the Roman Catholic Congregation Living In or Near the Same." It specifically declared that "the churches in San Antonio, Goliad, Victoria, and the church lot at Nacogdoches, the Churches at the Mission of Concepcion, San Jose, San Juan, Espada, and the Mission Refugio with out-buildings and lots be restored to the Catholic Church." It also states that the restored property was to be used for religious and educational purpose and no others, and that the measure granted title to no lands except the lots upon which the churches are situated and shall not exceed fifteen acres. This act was signed by Burnet, January 18, 1841. 6

The act of the Republic of Texas in 1841 returned church property to the church, but in 1844 Presidio La Bahia and its Our Lady of Loreto Chapel were give to the town of Goliad as part of a four league grant of land. The town of Goliad would not return the chapel to the Catholic Church. In 1853, the Catholic Church purchased the church from the town of Goliad for $1,000. When the Catholic Church received the title in 1855, it included "the entire old fort". The chapel has been used as a place of worship since then, but the fort was in ruins until it was restored in the 1960's.

Aznar's Raid:

By 1840, it became apparent to all that Santa Anna, on being allowed to go free and restored to power in Mexico, disregarding his oath and treaty, still intended to recover Texas by force of arms. Under his order, Vasquez assembled troops at Matamoros to invade the Republic and plans were made for a surprise attack upon Corpus Christi, Goliad, and Refugio.

On January 9, 1842, General Arista at Matamoros issued Proclamation to the Inhabitants of Texas inviting them to join with Mexico and assuring them that their lot would be happier under Mexican rule, etc. This was give to his troops and spies to distribute among the Texans. Captain Ramon Valera led the Mexican troops into Texas, with orders to attack Goliad, Refugio, and San Patricio.

A detachment of troops under Captain Miguel Aznar were sent with two officers and forty men to take Goliad. By forced marches they arrived at Goliad at midnight March 3, 1842. On awakening the next morning, March 4, the inhabitants of the town were surprised to find soldiers all over the place, and "having been deceived by some of the friends of the La Bahia Auxiliaries" they made a dash for the shelter of the old Espiritu Santo Mission ruins, barred the doors, and prepared to defend themselves. However, after a little parleying with the invaders who read to the citizens Arista's Proclamation assuring them of their "peaceful" intentions, the besieged citizens peacefully surrendered and promised to be good.

The Mexican force provides some needed food and provisions for the town, and after occupying Goliad for only one day more, marched away to pay their not so and harmless respects to Refugio, which they captured the next day. 7

These raids, showing Santa Anna intended to retake Texas, was one of the causes of the Texas-U.S.A.-Mexican War of 1846.

The Woll's, Vasquez, Aznar raids of 1842 seem to have been the last armed raids upon old La Bahia.

Depredations of ex-U.S. Soldiers after their discharge in Texas and the so-called "Victoria Cowboys" plundering and molesting the inhabitants and desecrating the Church about completed the destruction of the old Presidio. The town was virtually deserted, and Anglo American squatters living in the Chapel made useless Bishop Odin's efforts to restore religion there.

For the next 25 years it was indeed a desolate place, making good the prophecy of the priest in the following story as told by the old women of La Bahia around the early part of the 20th century. 1

The Republic Of The Rio Grande in 1840:

The Republic of the Rio Grande was an effort on the part of Federalist leaders in Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, and Coahuila to break away from the centralistic government of Mexico in 1840 and to form a new confederation. After much Federalistic flurry in the northern frontier Mexican states, leaders of the party met at Laredo, Texas, in convention on January 17, 1840. The convention declared independence from Mexico and claimed for its territory the areas of Tamaulipas and Coahuila north to the Nueces and Medina rivers, respectively, and Nuevo León, Zacatecas, Durango, Chihuahua, and New Mexico. The red, black and white flag of the Republic of the Rio Grande contained three stars, representing the Mexican states of Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, and Coahuila.

Officers and a general council were elected as follows: Jesús de Cárdenas, president; Antonio Canales Rosillo, commander-in-chief of the army; Juan Nepomuceno Molano, delegate and member of the council for Tamaulipas; Francisco Vidaurri y Villaseñor, for Coahuila; Manuel María de Llano, for Nuevo León; and José María Jesús Carbajal, secretary to the council. The government was moved to Guerro, Tamaulipas, where it was to have remained temporarily. Canales with his force took the field against the Centralist army under General Mariano Arista, and on March 24-25, 1840, met Arista in battle at Morales, Coahuila, and was disastrously defeated. Colonel Antonio Zapata, cavalry commander of Canales, was captured and executed.

An army of approximately 500 - 600 men consisting of Mexicans, Americans, and Indians was organized in San Patricio. The principal leader of the Americans was Colonel Samuel W. Jordan. Jordan and ninety men were ordered to the Rio Grande as the vanguard of the army late in June. They proceeded into the interior of Tamaulipas and captured Ciudad Victoria without a battle. From there treacherous subordinate officers led them toward San Luis Potosí, but, suspecting the treachery, Jordan changed direction and marched toward Saltillo. There, on October 25, 1840, he was attacked by Gen. Rafael Vásquez, the Centralist commander at Saltillo, but in spite of the desertion of part of his command, managed to defend himself and return to Texas. Early in November commissioners of Canales and Arista met, and Canales capitulated at Camargo on November 6, 1840. He was taken into the Centralist army as an officer, and Federalism was dead for the time being.

After the failure of The Republic of the Rio Grande movement, in December of 1840, Colonel Jordan would attempt to kill Sam Houston with an ax in Austin, Texas, but it was prevented by Adolphus Sterne.

Mier And Somervell Expeditions In 1842:

President Santa Anna and the central government of Mexico did not recognize the Republic of Texas. In 1842, Mexican troops crossed the Rio Grande and fought several battles with the Texan army. This lesson follows these military encounters, including the sacking of Laredo (November, 1842) and the Mexican victory at Mier (December 26, 1842), which led to the infamous Black Bean Episode (March 25, 1843).

The Somervell Expedition was a punitive expedition against Mexico in retaliation for three predatory raids made by Mexican armies upon Texas in 1842: Antonio Canales Rosillo's descent upon Fort Lipantitlán and the captures of San Antonio by Rafael Vásquez and Woll.

Presidio La Bahia Sold In 1848:

The Goliad city council on December 19, 1848, leased to Reverend John F. Hillyer for a term of five years, "The lot of land of twenty acres, including the old Aranama Mission 8 (Mission Espiritu Santo, across the San Antonio River from Presidio La Bahia was known to locals as Aranama Mission) with its appurtenances, for the purpose of having a Female School intuited and maintained at that place." The city council authorized and required the mayor to offer for sale on the next sale day the old Fort near, its walls and fixtures adjoining the Church in the Old Town of Goliad on a credit of one and two years in equal installments.", etc., provided as much as one thousand dollars shall be bid for same.

It must have been under this authorization that Pryor Lea secured possession of the whole Presidio. A map in the Goliad County Archives shows that the Presidio was within the large acreage allotted to Lea. 1



Presidio La Bahia In 1850:

Judge Pryor Lea, as he was usually addressed, was said to have been related to Sam Houston's last wife. He came to Texas some time after annexation. He was a railroad promoter, and was in Goliad in 1847, surveying for the railroad he proposed to connect Goliad and Lamar, and to make the latter place a deep-water port and railroad terminal. Goliad was his headquarters for his various promotional schemes, and he brought his family here and domiciled them in the old chapel of Our Lady of Loreto, to the horror and disgust of the few old Mexican families remaining at La Bahia and Carlos Ranch. He was in the Presidio and Church in 1850 if the dates of the following account of a trip John Russell Bartlett made through this country in 1850 is correct. His account of his travels state that in September, 1850 on his route over alternate prairies and woodland, between Victoria and Goliad, he reached the latter place where he had some business to transact.

In his later published narrative 9 he leaves the following graphic account of the sad state of the old fort at that time.

"Towards evening Judge Lea, a gentleman of enterprise and a large landholder, called me and invited me to his house at Old Goliad about two miles distant. He took a deep interest in the survey we were then making from Indianola to San Antonio, and had accompanied the surveying party when it passed through his lands a day or two before my arrival. We crossed the river in a log canoe, and reached the Judge's residence, a venerable and ruined church, just at sunset. Took a brief view of the ruins of the ancient town while the dim twilight remained.

The present town of Goliad from the former town, and at the time of my visit contained about two hundred inhabitants. The old place, which is now in ruins, is situated upon a hill directly upon the west bank of the San Antonio River, at its highest navigable point, and formerly contained in several thousand inhabitants. It was originally a Spanish mission (not true, it was a military fort), instituted for the purpose of christianizing the Indians, and united within one enclosure a church and fort, while numerous dwellings were clustered under the protection of its guns. The date of the establishment is not known with certainty, the accounts varying from one to two hundred years. The church is the only building in tolerable preservation, except two or three houses which have been restored, provided with new roofs, and made into very comfortable dwellings - better indeed than modern builders would think of erecting. The church seems to have been designed for the double purpose of a church and a castle. Its massive walls on every side, which measure four feet in thickness, are cemented with waterlme, and its great strength is owing its fine state of preservation. Its extreme length is 90 feet, its breadth 27 feet. Its roof is a single stone arch from wall to wall, sustained by small building or clister which project from the sides, and which are connected with the main edifice; a parapet rises above the roof, behind which cannon were formerly planted."

"In the various domestic wars of Mexico this was an important place, and frequently changed hands; nor was its importance lost during the struggle for Texas independence, when it was occupied by the Mexicans as well as the Texan forces. Its original name was La Bahia del Espiritu Santo, the Bay Town of Espiritu Santo, because it was originally the place for collecting the revenue of the small ports upon the bay. Hence, all persons arriving on the bay with merchandise were obliged to go forty miles into the interior duties... This name of La Bahia was changed by the Spaniards about thirty years since, when it began to decay as a religious establishment, to that Goliad, on account of its great strength." At this time, the facts of the name change from La Bahia to Goliad was being confused, or lost.

"Around the church are some twenty or more ruined buildings of stone, with nothing but their walls standing. One of these extends about 150 feet southward, and appears, from its small apartments, to have been constructed for barracks; its wall, like those of the church, are very massive. A height wall seems once to have surrounded the church, but much of it lies now prostrate. The other buildings, which are detached and of various dimensions, were chiefly used as dwellings. The whole town is in ruins, and presents a scene of desolation, which to an American is at once novel and interesting. Each succeeding capture, of course, impaired the buildings; and after the decisive battle of San Jacinto, the Mexicans evacuated it and destroyed it as far as they were able. The material of these buildings is a soft white sandstone, which underlay the town, and which appears to become hardened when exposed to the air."

"...The church is especially notorious as having been the place where Fannin and his men were confined and massacred. We were fortunate enough to meet with a gentleman, Judge H. (W.L. Hunter), who was one of the prisoners..."


Presidio La Bahia Returned To The Church In 1853:

The few people left in La Bahia were Catholics, and were in distress at the uses to which the chapel had been put, notably in the usurpation of it by Pryor Lea, and his actual occupancy of the old chapel of Loreto, and logged for its restoration to its rightful use. They humbly appealed to the Corporation of the new town of Goliad to restore it to its Sacred use. Happily the authorities of the town seeing their distress, and probably ashamed of having allowed its desecration, moved to restore La Bahia to the Church, which they now claimed to belong to the Corporation of Goliad, in spite of the legal transfer of the property to the Church by the Texas Congress, January 13, 1841.

Moved by the desire to clear up the situation, the Mayor of Goliad, A.H. Briscoe, wrote to Bishop Odin as follows:

Rt. Revd. Bishop Odin:
Goliad, Texas, Sept. 19 1853

Revd. And Dear Sir:

By an ordinance passed by the "Common Council of the town of Goliad", I (the Mayor) was empowered to open a correspondence with you with a view of adjusting by sale or otherwise the title to the old church and fort situated in the old town of Goliad, most usually called Labiahia. "The Common Council" are aware that the property is claimed by you as "Chief Pastor" of the Catholic Church in Texas. They however have no doubt as to the rights of the town of Goliad to said property and will claim and defend it to the last her right should they be disputed. Knowing that it is the wish of the citizens of old Goliad, that the said church should belong to the Catholic Church, and that it only be used for the purpose for which it was set apart and consecrated, the Common Council in view of this and prompted by feelings of kindness and liberality, offer to sell to you as Chief Pastor of the Catholic Church, said property, provided terms can be agreed upon. You are aware, I presume, that the said property, with other property was granted to the town for a specific purpose, and that the same can not be alienated or disposed of in any other manner - than according to the conditions set forth in said grant - although the "Common Council" entertain liberal feelings, yet their duty as public officers require that they be just and true to their trust, through activated and governed by generous motives.

The Common Council have had under consideration claims to lots situated in the old town. Most of them have been presented and think will be confirmed by the board. Old Goliad at this time presents quite a town-like appearance and should its population continue to increase in like ration, it will not be long before its population will equal that before the Revolution in 1836. Goliad has ever been a favorite place with Mexicans. Will you consider the subject matters herein contained and let me hear from you.

Yours with reverence and due Respect,

A. H. Briscoe
Mayor 10

With the above letter, title and ownership of the church and Presidio La Bahia would be returned to the church in 1855, at a cost to the church of $1,000.


Doctor Barnard Files A Plat Of The Townsite Of La Bahia In 1857:

A plat of the townsite of La Bahia was made and filed in Goliad County in 1857, from data furnished by Dr. Barnard. The plat located land owner's property boundaries, the "Old Fort" (Presidio La Bahia), and the location of the burial site of "Fannin's Men". Dr. Barnard is believed to have had first hand information as to the actual site of the burial, as he was one of the doctors spared at the Goliad massacre. He and the other medical personal spared from the massacre were sent to San Antonio to care for Santa Anna's wounded troops. The filing of the plat of the townsite of La Bahia would become critical in later years.


George Von Dohlen Marks The Grave Site Of Fannin's Men In 1858:

After the massacre in 1836 the bodies were burned, the remains left exposed to weather, vultures, and coyotes, until June 3, 1836, when Gen. Thomas J. Rusk, who had established his headquarters at Victoria after San Jacinto and was passing through Goliad in pursuit of General Vicente Filisola's retreating army, gathered the remains and buried them with military honors. Some of the survivors of the massacre attended the ceremony.

The common grave (trench) remained unmarked until about 1858, when a Goliad merchant, George von Dohlen, placed a pile of rocks on what was believed to be the site. For many years this place remained unmarked and unprotected, until the very location was almost forgotten - almost, but not quite. 1


The Curse Of Goliad:

Sometime in the eighteen seventies, or eighties, a priest was quietly celebrating Mass in the chapel at La Bahia, when a group of rowdy ruffians from Goliad with hats on and spurs jangling, noisily invaded the church. The priest tuned around and asked them to be quiet and act respectfully, reminding them that this was the House of God. For answer they dragged him from the church and were amusing themselves by shooting at his feet, "to make him dance," they said. Just at that time some responsible, honorable men, possibly civil officials, came up, and pulling their guns on the outlaws, arrested them and tied them up.

"Now", they said, "Father, what shall we do with these men? Shall we shoot them, or hang them? Whatever you say we will do." The Father replied, "Let them aloose and may God have mercy upon them for they, and Goliad from where they came, will never amount to anything. God's curse is upon them and it."
1


Memorial To Fannin's Men Erected In The City Of Goliad In 1885:

In April 1885 a memorial was finally erected, in the city of Goliad (known as Fannin Square) rather than on the site, by the Fannin Monument Association, formed by William L. Hunter, a massacre survivor.


Presidio La Bahia Slowly Decays:

The years after the Texas Revolution were not good to Presidio La Bahia. The walls and buildings (except for the chapel) within the presidio decayed and slowly collapsed. The chapel having been used as a residence in the late 1840's and early 1850's was frowned upon by the local Mexican families. The well made stone houses outside the walls of the Presidio eventually were abandoned and fell into ruin.

The Presidio and chapel would eventually be returned to the church, the final paperwork being signed off in 1855. The chapel would be used for worship by the local citizens. Beginning in the mid 1850's and for the next 100 years, the Presidio (the fort) would decay and was virtually ignored.


Two Acres Purchased In 1928:

In 1928, Judge J. A. White, Mr. W. E. Fowler, and Goliad Mayor Joseph Wearden, believing the story of rocks placed by George Von Dohlen in 1858, bought for the County of Goliad two acres of land from Manuel Cabrera, a descendant of early La Bahia natives.


Fannin's Grave Located And Verified In 1930:

In 1930 some Goliad Boy Scouts found charred bone fragments that had been unearthed over the years by animals. The Boy Scouts reported the find to their families. This find created interest with some citizens of Goliad.


Goliad Citizens Visit Fannin's Men Grave Site In 1932:

On New Year's Day, 1932, Goliad citizens succeeded in attracting an investigation of the site by University of Texas anthropologist J. E. Pearce. The citizens found fragments of charred bones and teeth which a dentist, a member of the group, pronounced as undoubtedly human remains. This aroused interest in suitably marking the grave site. The authenticity of the gravesite was further verified by historians Clarence R. Wharton and Harbert Davenport. The plat of the Townsite Of La Bahia, filed by Dr. Barnard in 1857 was used as part of the verification of the site.

Monument Dedicated In 1938:

In 1936, in celebration of the Texas Centennial, money was appropriated to build a massive pink granite monument, dedicated on June 4, 1938. Harbert Davenport presented the address, which was published as "The Men of Goliad" in the Southwestern Historical Quarterly (1939).

The names of all of the men massacred is engraved on the monument face.

 
Monument and grave site of Fannin's men

Presidio La Bahia Restored To Its 1836 Appearance:

During the mid-1960s, the Kathryn Stoner O'Connor Foundation funded a restoration project under the direction of architect Raiford Stripling and archeologist Roland Beard. The fort was rebuilt to its 1836 appearance, based on documents and archeological evidence dating from the Texas Revolution.


__________

1 Presidio La Bahia, by Katheryn Stoner O'Connor
2 Castaneda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas, VII, 8 (copy secured from University of Notre Dame Archives, in Catholic Archives of Texas).
3 Ibid., II, 22.
4 Reverend J.M. Kirwin, History of Galveston Diocese (Galveston: Knapp Bros. Printers 1922), 43.
5 Castaneda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas, VII, 56-59
6 H.P.N. Gammel, Laws of Texas, 1822 - 1897 (9 Vols.; Austin: ammel Book Company, 1898), II, 492
7 Oberstate, Texas Irish Empresarios and Their Colonies, 244.
8 Mission of Espiritu Santo was also known to the people of Goliad as Aranama Mission.
9 John Russel Bartlett, Personal Narrative of Explorations and Incidents in Texas (2 vols.; New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1854), I, 25-30
10 From Archives of Catholic Diocese of Corpus Christi, Texas.

 
 
Friends Of The Fort | P.O. Box 57 | Goliad, Texas 77963 | US Hwy 183 (77A)
Telephone: (361) 645-3752
Copyright: 2002 - Friends Of The Fort
Webmaster